Vettu cakes are tea time snacks usually found in Kerala.The recipe for making the tea snack is very easy and can be fried up within minutes at home. Moreover, the ingredients used in making vettu cakes will easily be available in everyone’s kitchen.
Equipment 1, Equipment 2, Equipment 3
- All-purpose flour | 1 cup
- Rava(semolina) | 1/4 cup
- Egg | 1 ( I used a large egg)
- Baking powder | ¼ teaspoon
- Sugar | 1/4cup
- Cardamom powder | ½ tsp
- Oil | for frying
How to Cook!
- In a medium bowl mix, flour, rava, cardamom powder and baking powder set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot add sugar and egg and when it slightly was beaten add the flour mixture to form a smooth dough and set aside for 40 minutes resting. (Add only enough flour to make smooth dough).
- When you are ready to fry, heat oil in a deep bottomed pan. Shape the smooth dough into a log and then cut them into five 2x2.5 inch piece squares.
- Make a deep cut in the center and again one opposite to the first cut.
- Fry them over medium heat.Make sure that oil is not too hot then outside gets burns earlier and the inner dough will not be cooked.
- Once they are cooked remove from the oil using a slotted spoon and transfer to kitchen towel to remove excess oil.