An Italian dessert consisting of layers of sponge cake soaked in coffee and with powdered chocolate and mascarpone cheese.
For Sponge Cake
- Eggs Large | 3
- Granulated Sugar | 3/4cup +2 tbsp
- Salt | 1/4tsp
- Liquid Vegetable Oil | 1/4cup +1 tbsp
- Whole Milk | 1/4cup + 1 Tbsp
- Vanilla Extract | 1/2 Tablespoon
- Flour | 1cups
- Baking Powder | 3/4teaspoons
For Cream Filling
- 3/4cup | hot brewed espresso coffee
- 2tablespoons | powdered sugar,
- 1cup | cheese(Philadelphia or mascarpone cheese)
- 1 cup | powdered sugar
- 1/2tsp | vanilla
- 2cup | cold whipping cream
- 2tablespoons | Dutch-processed or regular unsweetened cocoa
How to Cook!
For the Cake
- Place the eggs and sugar in a large metal mixing bowl and set it over a double boiler.
- Whisk the eggs gently while warming them from the heat from the double boiler. Once they reach about 100° F (no thermometer necessary just slightly hotter than your body temperature) remove the mixing bowl from the heat and transfer to the bowl of the Kitchen Aid mixer with a whip attachment.
- On high speed whip the eggs until they reach the ribbon stage.
- Add the sifted flour, salt and baking powder to the whipped eggs all at once, and on low -medium speed blend to combine well.
- Add the oil/milk & extracts mixture all at once and mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake in a preheated 350° F oven until its done.
- In a small bowl, mix coffee syrup ingredients. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat mascarpone cheese, 1 cups powdered sugar, and the vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- In a small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until combined.
- To assemble, cut each cake horizontally to make 2 layers. Place 1 cake layer on plate; moisten generously with coffee syrup, then spread with about 1 cup of the filling.
- Repeat with remaining 3 cake layers. Spread remaining filling over top and side of the cake. Sprinkle cocoa over cake.
- Sprinkle chopped chocolate around the bottom edge of cake. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving..