Sufiyani or sofiyani biryani is basically white chicken biryani cooked in almond and cashews paste .Here masala powders are not used.And green chillies are added to spice up the biryani and all the spices are saute in ghee to bring a aroma to the biryani .Sofiyani biryani is basically a Hyderabadi biryani .As the name represents they are so soft and divine.
I watched a Malayalam movie Sufiyum sujathayum and become a great fan of Sufi music and culture .So I searched google for Sufi food and came across this biryani .They are not the biryani what Sufi people eats .But definitely as pure as their culture.I love the flavour and the aroma of this biryani. If you are biryani lover,you are gonna love this and if you are not a biryani lover ,you will definitely gonna love this .This is a must try recipe.I made white chicken biryani .Sufiyani mutton biryani is also famous in north India.This is must try recipe
Cooking pan, Spatula, Grinder
- Basmathi rice | 2 cups
- Chicken | 1 kg
- Onion | 1
- Ginger | 1 (medium size)
- Garlic| 15 cloves
- Green chillies | 3
- Curd | 1/4 cup
- Fresh cream | 1/4 cup
- Almonds | 10
- Cashews | 10
- Milk | 1/2 cup
- Cloves | 3
- Cardamom | 3
- Cinnamon | 2
- Cumin seeds | 1 Tsp
- Ghee | 2 Tbsp
- Oil | 1/4 cup
- Water | 8 cup
- Salt to taste
- Onion | 1
- Garam masala
- Coriander leaves
How to Cook!
Step – 1
- In a blender, add cashews,almonds and milk.
- Blend this into smooth paste .
- Grind the garlic ,ginger and green chillies into a paste.
- Marinate the chicken with curd ,fresh cream,garlic ginger chilly paste and 1/4 cup of prepared cashew almond paste and salt .
- Keep this for 1 hour
Step – 2
- In a cooking pan,add oil in to it
- Then add one onion and fry it to golden brown.
- Keep this aside.
- Then add cashews and raisins and roast them
- Keep these things aside.These are needed for garnishing the biryani
Step – 3
- Take rice and wash and soak it for 10 minutes.
- Boil water and add salt and spices into it .
- Then we need to add the drained rice.
- Close and cook for 15 minutes .
- After 15 minutes,open the lid and add half a lemon juice
- Drain the cooked rice from water and keep it aside.
Step – 4
- In a cooking pan ,add ghee.
- Then add cloves,cinnamon ,cardamom and cumin seeds.
- Saute this for a minute.
- Then add onion and saute to light brown colour.
- Then add the marinated chicken in yo it.
- Close and cook for 20 minutes .
- After 20 minutes,open the lid and dry out the water content .
- Add the cooked rice in to it .
- Add cashew almond paste on top of the rice.
- Then add fried onions and roasted cashews and raisins.
- Sprinkle some garam masala .
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Close and dum for 10 minutes (very low flame)