Soya chunks kurma gravy made with vegetable textured protein nuggets. A coconut based curry to serve with rice or roti.
Equipment 1, Equipment 2, Equipment 3
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped
- 1 to 2 green chili
- 1 tbsps. chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint leaves
- Fat pinch of turmeric
- ½ tsp. garam masala
- ¼ to ½ tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 cup Soya chunks (heaped)
- 1 tsp. ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp. garam masala
- ¼ tsp. red chili powder
- Salt little
- 1 tbsp. Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. Poppy seeds or cashews (optional)
- 2 to 3 tbsp. Grated coconut
- ½ tsp – fennel seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ starflower (optional)
- ½ tsp. cumin / jeera
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
How to Cook!
- Heat 3 to 4 cups water, add soya chunks. Switch off the stove. Leave them to soften for about 10 minutes
- Squeeze off the water and rinse them in a lot of water and repeat squeezing them. Make sure there is no water left in the chunks. If you desire you can cut the chunks in half or use them as it is.
- Marinate them with ingredients mentioned under marination. Set this aside until needed.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, set them aside
- If using poppy seeds, dry roast them until crunchy, powder them first with saunf and then add the coconut with very little water to make a thick paste.
- Heat a pan with oil, add the dry spices. When they begin to sizzle, add onions, green chilies and fry till the onions turn golden.
- Add tomato and fry till the tomato turns mushy if needed sprinkle water to cook tomatoes.
- Add marinated soya chunks, coriander, and mint leaves and fry everything well till the raw smell of the ginger garlic goes away, around 5 minutes. Stir well to prevent burning. If needed use a little more oil.
- Add the ground coconut paste or yogurt if using yogurt as a substitute to coconut paste.
- Then add red chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder. Mix and fry well for about 3 to 5 minutes, till you begin to get a nice aroma.
- Add water just enough to make a good amount of kurma gravy. Adjust salt.
- Simmer and cook till you get the desired consistency of gravy, for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish soya chunks curry with coriander leaves