Biriyanis are my favourite.I only attend wedding ceremonies for the sake of biriyanis. Actually, biriyanis are Persian in origin.During Mughal rule,it started cooking in royal kitchens of India.And now it became the unofficially official food of south Asian countries.Malabar dum biriyani is actually superb delicious and a famous one.
So lets start making the royal mutton dum biriyani.
Pressure cooker, deep bottomed dish
- Mutton-1 kg
- Onion-2 large
- Tomato-2 large
- Garlic-2 pods
- Ginger-1 medium size
- Green Chillies-8-10
- Coconut oil-2 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander powder-1/2 tablespoon
- Garam masala -1/2 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves
- Curry leaves
For ghee rice
- Rice-6 cups
- Water-9 cups(for 1 cup rice 1 and half cups of water)
- Ghee-1/2 cup
- Cinnamon-small piece
- Lemon juice-1 Tablespoon
- Cashews-1/4 cup
- Garam masala
- Coriander leaves
How to Cook!
- Take a pressure cooker and add mutton,turmeric powder,coriander powder and salt in to it.Give a good mix and allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
- Heat a deep bottomed dish.Add oil and onion in to it.Add needed salt.Saute well.
- Meanwhile,make paste with ginger,garlic and green chillies and add it to the onion.
- Stir until the raw smell change.
- Add tomatoes in to it.and give a good mix.
- Now,add cooked mutton in to it.
- Then add garam masala,curry leaves and coriander leaves in to it.Give a mix
- Close the dish with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat a cooking dish and add ghee in to it
- Then add cinnamon,cloves and cardamom in to it
- Add onion to it(make sure that you cut your onions very thin)
- Dont allow the onion to change its color to brown.
- To it add the rice.Saute well for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add boiled water in to it.(with this water you can also add mutton stock that is present in your cooker)
- Add lemon juice in to it(this is to avoid rice from sticking together)
- After evaporating whole water
- Close the lid and cook the rice for about 10-15 minutes in a very low flame.
So lets dum our biriyani.
- Fry onion and cashews in a pan
- Take a cooking dish for it
- Keep a large lid on the stove(its better to use aluminium lids)
- Place the cooking dish above it.
- Layer your masala and ghee rice.
- Garnish it with onion,garam masala,cashew and coriander leaves.
- Close the cooking dish with its lid
- Allow it to sim for 10 minutes .