Mixed dal (parippu) curry
This dal (parippu) curry contains a two types of dal, masoor dal and moong dal and goes along very well with your plain rice or rotis. You could always use any type of dal according to your preference but the cooking time will vary. Also you could try the same recipe with only moong dal, that will also turn out to be great.
Pressure cooker (or any other curry pot), Kadai or pan
- Masoor dal (chuvanna parippu or Red lentil) – ¼ cup
- Moong dal (cherupayar parippu or Split green gram) – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Onion- ½
- Garlic- 2 to 3
- Green chillies- 2 to 3
- Salt- to taste
- Thick coconut milk- 1 cup
- Coconut Oil- 1 tbsp
- Dried red chillies- 2
- Mustard- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves- few
How to Cook!
Step – 1
- Rinse the dal properly.
- In a pressure cooker add the dal along with turmeric powder, salt, sliced onion, crushed garlic and chopped green chillies and enough water.
- Cook them for about 2 whistles or until properly cooked. You can use normal vessel also to cook the dal, the pressure cooker just makes it simpler.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker when all the steam has released by itself.
- Add the thick coconut milk.
- Simmer the mixture after opening on low flame.
Step – 2
- In another pan or kadai heat the coconut oil.
- Splutter the mustard seeds.
- Add the curry leaves and dry red chillies.
- Pour the tempering on to the dal.
- Cover and cook the dal for another five minutes.
- Serve with rice or roti.