Kuzhi Paniyaram is a famous recipe from the chettinad region that is eaten either for breakfast or as evening snack along with various chutneys and sambar.This one is very simple and quick to make. I prefer using the non stick kuzhi paniyaram pan as it consumes less oil and also making paniyaram is a wonderful way to use up any left over idli/dosa batter without wasting it.
- Idli batter – 2 cups
- Small onion – 6, sliced
- Chopped ginger – ½ tsp
- Green chili – 1, chopped
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1-2 tbsp
- Coconut – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Urad dal (uzhunnu) – ¼ tsp
- Mustard – ¼ tsp
- Oil/ghee – as required
How to Cook!
- Heat oil/ghee in a pan and crackle mustard and urad dal.
- Add sliced small onion, chopped ginger, green chilli and coconut. Fry it until the onion turns golden brown.
- Add the fried items and chopped coriander leaves to the idli batter and mix well.
- Spread or spray oil in Paniyaram/Unniyappam pan. Make sure the oil is hot, but not smoking hot.
- Drop the batter into hot oil and cover it for two min.,
- Flip the paniyaram, no need to cover now, after two-three minutes take it out,
- Serve hot with green chutney or red chutney.