Kunafah is a Middle Eastern dessert made with cheese pastry soaked in sweet, sugar-based syrup. It is a specialty of the Arab world
Equipment 1, Equipment 2, Equipment 3
- Kunafa dough – 300 gram
- Unsalted butter – 100 gram (melted)
- Thick cream – 250 ml
- Grated mozzarella cheese – 200 gram
- Sugar Syrup – (recipe is given below)
- Pistachios – 3 tbsp (powdered)
For the sugar syrup
- Water – 1 ½ cup
- Sugar – 2 ½ cup
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Rose water – 2 tsp
- Orange blossom water – 1 tsp
How to Cook!
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius. Grease a round cake tin with little butter and keep it ready.
- Shred the Kunafa dough with your hands. Add melted butter to this and combine evenly.
- Move half this to the greased cake tin and spread all over including the sides of the cake tin and press lightly with your hands.
- Add half of the thick cream over this and spread all over. Add the mozzarella cheese over it and again top it with the remaining thick cream.
- Cover it with the remaining Kunafa dough and again press lightly to set it evenly.
- Bake it in the preheated oven for about 40 – 45 minutes, or till the top portion turns a golden colour. Remove from the oven.
- Pour the syrup all over the baked Kunafa (reserve ¼ cup to pour after inverting the Kunafa to a plate) and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Invert it to a plate and pour the remaining syrup over it. Top it with powdered pistachios. Serve hot, warm or cooled.
- In a saucepan, combine together water sugar and lemon juice and bring to boil.
- Reduce the flame and heat it for another 6 – 8 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and add rose water and orange blossom water.
- Leave it to cool to room temperature. Pour this over the baked Kunafa