Kootu curry is a very traditional dish. It is the inevitable part of a kerala sadya. A combination of chickpea and fresh raw vegetables, One of my favourite side dish in kerala sadya, this is the best.
Pressure cooker, grinder
- Yam cubed | 1 cup
- Raw plantain cubed | 1cup
- Black chickpea | 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut | 1/2cup + 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds | 1 tsp
- Salt | to taste
- Water | as required
- Curry leaves | 2 springs
- Red chilly | 3 nos
- Mubstard seeds | 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder | 1 tbsp
- Coconut Oil | 3 tbsp
How to Cook!
Step – 1
- Soak chickpea in water for overnight.
- Take a pressure cooker, add Soaked chickpea, salt and cook it for 30 minutes after 1 whistle. Drain and Keep it aside.
Step – 2
- Add cubed yam, raw banana, salt, pepper powder and 1 cup of water into the pressure cooker. Cook it for 2 whistle.
- Open the lid and boil until the excess water dries out.
Step – 3
- Grind 1/2 cup of grated coconut and cumin seeds into coarse paste.( add required amount of water while grinding)
Step – 4
- Now add cooked chickpea and coconut paste into the cooked veggies and mix well. Allow the mixture to boil until the raw coconut smell subsides.
Step – 5
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, allow it to splutter.
- Add curryleavs and red chilly.
- Now add 1/2 cup grated coconut and mix until golden brown.
- Pour it into the kootucurry and give a good mix.