Kadala parippu (chana daal) pola or as people fondly calls its pathumma pathiri is a very popular Malabar snack. The main ingredients are kadala parippu and eggs. Even though we usually don’t make a sweet snack with lentils this one is really a good one and a different one. Make sure you try this out during this Ifthar season.
Mixer jar, Sauce pan
For Kadala parippu pola
- Kadala parippu( chana dal)- ½ cup
- Eggs- 5
- Milk- ½ cup
- Sugar- ½ cup
- Milk powder- 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder- ¼ tsp
- Ghee- 1 tsp
- Raisins (optional)- to garnish
How to Cook!
Step – 1
- Boil and cook the kadala parippu until it is very soft and mashable.
- In a mixer jar add the cooked kadala parippu, eggs, sugar, and milk, milk powder, and cardamom powder and grind everything until a smooth mixture is obtained.
- Make sure the kadala parippu is well grinded.
- In a heavy bottomed nonstick sauce pan add the ghee and heat it.
- If you are using raisins then put it in the ghee and take it out once the raisins have puffed up.
- Pour the prepared mixture into the sauce pan and cover with a tight lid.
- Cook on low flame for about 45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes clean.
- When the pola is halfway done decorate with the raisins (optional step).
- Switch off the flame and move your pola to a serving dish.
- You can cut the pola according to your wish.