Chicken Sukka or Chicken Chukka is a spicy Chicken roast recipe which goes really well with Kerala Parotta or any roti of your choice. This spicy dry Chicken Sukka is a great combination with our Ghee rice too.
Chicken Sukka is a famous Mangalorian curry recipe which is made by roasting the masala in the ghee and then blending it to paste. But my recipe is a little different from the Mangalorian Chicken Sukka. This recipe of Chicken Sukka, I got from my father which is quite famous among Gulf malayalees and to be more specific, gulf bachelors. This is UAE style Chicken Sukka or Chicken Chukka version.
This is one among the common dish in small restaurants in UAE which is quite economical too. The fried onion with blended tomato gives a unique flavour to this chicken roast recipe. You can add green chilly and pepper according to your taste. I made this Chicken Chukka with Onion and Shallots. You can add Onions instead of shallots. But the aroma and taste of shallots is worth mentioning. Normally in restaurants, they add some tomato ketchup at last, but this is quite optional. I skipped this because I wanted to make this Chukka recipe with pure home-made ingredients.
Cooking Pan, Spatula
- Chicken | 1/2 Kg
- Onion | 3
- Shallots | 1 Cup (Sliced)
- Tomato | 3
- Ginger- Garlic Paste | 2 tbsp
- Green Chilly | 6
- Garam Masala | 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder | 1 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder | 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder | 1/2 tsp
- Sea Salt
- Curry Leaves
- Pepper Powder
How to Cook!
Step – 1
- Heat oil in a pan.
- To the oil, add sliced onion and fry until golden brown.
- Take the onion from the oil and keep it aside
Step – 2
- Add Ginger-garlic paste to the oil and saute until raw smell is gone.
- Add Green chillies and curry leaves and give a mix.
- To this, add sliced shallots, salt and saute until light brown in colour.
- Add Turmeric powder, Red-Chilly powder. Coriander Powder and Garam Masala.
- Saute the Masala in low flame until cooked.
- Add Pepper powder according to your taste and give a mix.
- Blend tomatoes in to paste and add to the masala.
- Saute until oil starts appearing.
- Add chicken and given a good mix.
- You can add salt at this point if required.
- Add half of the fried onions and give a mix.
- Close and cook this at low flame for 15-20 min.
Step – 3
- Open the lid and dry out water content by stirring continuously.
- Top with some curry leaves, Remaining fried onion and pepper powder.
- Close the lid and switch off the flame.
- Cover and keep for at least 10 minutes.
- Give a good mix and serve hot this tasty chicken sukka with roti or rice of your choice.