Mandi is one of the most popular dish of Arabs. It has got a very unique flavour and aroma . The aroma of combination of spices and tender cooked meat will surely win every food lover’s heart. Mandi is a very traditional rice originated from Yemen .It is actually rice and meat blended in combination of spices. And it is cooked in a pit underground .The smokey smell give the mandi a very unique flavour and taste .
I really enjoy eating chicken mandi and found this superb easy recipe to make my favourite dish at home. This is superb easy and tasty recipe.
I used sella rice for making mandi .You can use basmathi rice also .If you are using basmathi rice ,the rice water ratio will be 1:1.5 .
Pressure cooker, Pan
For chicken masala
- Oil | 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon | 1
- Cardamom | 3
- Cloves | 3
- Coriander seeds | 1/2 Tsp
- Bay leaves | 1
- Cumin seeds | 1/2 Tsp
- Pepper powder | 1/2 Tsp
- Dried lemon | 1
- Ginger garlic paste | 2 Tbsp
- Onion | 2
- Chicken stock | 2 cubes
- Water | 1 Cup
- Chicken | 500g
- Ghee | 1 Tbsp
- Sella rice | 3 cups
- Water | 6 cups
- Green chillies | 3
- Tomato paste | 1 cup
How to Cook!
Step – 1
- In a pressure cooker ,add oil.
- In to it add cinnamon,cardamom,cloves,
bay leaves ,dried lemon,coriander seeds,pepper corns and cumin seeds.
- Saute it and then add ginger garlic paste.
- Saute it until the raw smell goes.
- Add chopped onion and saute .
- Then add chicken cubes and give it a mix.
- Add water and give everything a mix .
- In to this add the chicken pieces and coat it with the masalas .
- Cook this exactly for 2 whistles.
Step – 2
- In a cooking pan add ghee .
- Add rice into it and saute for 1 minute.
- Then measure the chicken stock from the cooker and add more water if needed and pour water in to the rice .
- We need 6 cups of water for 3 cups of sella rice.Here the rice water ratio is 1:2 .
- Add green chillies and tomato paste. Give this a mix .
- Close and cook for 20 minutes.
Step – 3
- Brush the cooked chicken with food colour if needed.
- Then place the chicken pieces in the rice and close and cook for 2 minutes at low flame .
- Then place a red hot charcoal piece in the middle in a plate and pour oil in to it .
- Close and smoke the mandhi at low flame for 5 minutes .