Avil Ela Ada is a traditional Kerala Sweet delicacy recipe. This is usually prepared during festivals and even served as an evening snack or part of breakfast menu.
Ela Ada is an easy recipe recipe to make which needs only minimal ingredients to make. Usually Ela Ada is prepared with only coconut and jaggery as the filling. But Avil (Beaten rice) or Banana is also added to increase the richness of this snack recipe. Avil Ela Ada with small bite of grated coconut and crunchiness of Avil is a real hero among the variants of Ela Ada.
Ela Ada is very common among Kerala and even among peoples in come part of Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu’s Turmeric leaf Ada and North India’s Modak is similar to the Ela Ada.
Ela Ada is prepared by wrapping rice dough filled with coconut filling and is wrapped in banana leaf. This is steamed and enjoyed with a hot cup of tea or coffee often. Jackfruit Ada is also prepared in the same way but the difference is instead of banana leaf, bay leaves are used commonly for this dish.
As banana leaf and Coconut is very easily available in Kerala, this is a quick and easy recipe to make. I forgot to mention about one thing. This dish is an healthy piece is delight as it has got no sugar and the is steamed as it calls for no oil.
- Grated Coconut | ½
- Melted Jaggery | ½ Cup (Approx.)
- Avil (Beated Rice) | ¼ Cup
- Pathiri Powder | 1 Cup
- Salt | ¼ tsp
- Water | 1 Cup
- Banana Leaves
How to Cook!
Step – 1
- Add Grated coconut and melted Jaggery in to the Pan.
- Mix it well until the water is condensed.
- Add Avil and mix well and switch off the flame.
Step – 2
- In a bowl, add Pathiri podwer and salt.
- Give a nice mix.
- Add a cup of water and mix well to form soft dough.
Step – 3
- Take a Banana leaf which is either rectangle shaped or square shaped.
- Take a small ball of dough and place it on the middle of the leaf.
- Press it with your hands to form a round shape which is not so thin but not so thick too.
- Take some filling and keep it in middle and fold the leaf from the middle.
- Press the dough from out to stick.
- Steam this for 25 minutes in high flame.