Areeram is a traditional Malabar sweet snack. As it contains no amount of sugar, it is healthy but is included in the list of ‘ennakadiz'(means the deep fry category). It is also called Al-Bhoori in some places. It is a perfect snack for tea.Once made , Areeram can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days
20 n more
- Raw Rice(white rice) – 2 cups
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Melted Jaggery – 1 cup
- Salt – 1-2 tsp
- Onion – 1 (small)
- Black sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
How to Make
- Soak the rice in water for about 2 hrs.
- After 2 hrs,drain it well,dry and grind the rice using a grinder (Little crisp of the rice should remain )
- To the grounded rice,add grated coconut and sesame seeds and mix it well.
- Melt the jaggery in a saucepan adding a little water, finely chopped onion and a little salt to taste.
- Once the jaggery is melted and cooled, add little by little to the rice-coconut mixture until it reaches a thick dough consistency.Knead it well.
- Take small portion of the rice dough roll it and press it to make a round shape of disc ,using hands .
- Heat the oil in a wok.When it is hot (don’t overheat), fry the areeram disc until golden brown .Toss it when one side is done.Drain them into kitchen towel to get off any excess oil. Enjoy.